Conversation talking points
In this conversation, hosted via webinar by Seer’s Kristi Mansfield, we will explore the power of Open data and effective community responses through the Covid-19 crisis and beyond.
We have invited the Chief Data Scientist of NSW Dr Ian Oppermann, to a candid conversation around how Government decisions are becoming increasingly data driven, how Open data is changing decision making processes and telling stories with data through different visualisations.
Seer has been working closely with Dr Oppermann throughout the crisis to deliver mapping and data tools to assist his work with NSW Government. We greatly value the conversations we have had with him and his wealth of knowledge in data driven decision making so we’re very excited to be able to engage him to share his knowledge with you.
Our discussion panel will also include Seer Co-Founder and Data Scientist Adam Peaston and some of our customers talking about the amazing work they are doing in their communities.
This session is a valuable investment of your time as you work on formulating effective responses in your own community.
You can expect to take away valuable insights from the conversation, including:
- The true power of Open data in formulating effective community responses
- How Government bodies are changing in their approach to accessing and sharing data
- Innovative community responses emerging as a result of the crisis and access to data
How you can contribute to the conversation
We encourage any questions you may have for Dr Ian Oppermann. During the webinar you will be able to post a question to our panel. Any questions we don’t get time to answer will be followed up post-webinar to ensure you get the most out of this experience.
We would also love to hear your stories of your data journey and discoveries, the responses and initiatives your community has mobilised in response to the Covid-19 crisis and any innovative ways in which you are using data in your decision-making process.
Where: Zoom Webinar
When: Wednesday 13th May 2020 Midday to 1pm
Dr Ian Oppermann – NSW Chief Data Scientist
For many people Dr Ian Oppermann needs no introduction but for anyone not familiar with his work, Dr Oppermann is considered a thought leader in the data community. His work and accomplishments include:
- NSW Government’s Chief Data Scientist working within the Department of Customer Service
- Industry Professor at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- 27 years’ experience in the ICT sector
- Leading organisations of over 300 people, delivering products and outcomes that have impacted hundreds of millions of people globally
- Senior Management roles in Europe and Australia as Director for Radio Access Performance at Nokia
- Global Head of Sales Partnering (network software) at Nokia Siemens Networks
- Divisional Chief and Flagship Director at CSIRO
- Regular speaker on “Big Data”, broadband enabled services and the impact of technology on society
- Contributor to 6 books and co-author of more than 120 papers which have been cited more than 3500 times
- MBA from the University of London and a Doctor of Philosophy in Mobile Telecommunications from Sydney University
- Fellow of the Institute of Engineers Australia, a Fellow of the IEEE
- Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering
- Fellow and President of the Australian Computer Society
- Graduate member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- President of the Australia National Committee of the IEC and president of the JTC1 strategic advisory committee in Australia
Seer Data & Analytics